Experienced DUI Attorneys in Maryland and Virginia
Practical Solutions for Complex or Extreme DUI Cases
At Salvado Law, we understand that DUI and DWI cases can be the result of an unfortunate incident following a perfect driving record. Consequences can range from fines, license revocation, and even jail time. These can have an adverse effects on your record, so the key is to get connected with an attorney right away. Learn more about DUIs and DWIs below, and how our experienced DUI attorneys can help you with your case by calling us today! Call attorney Carlos Salvado at (703)930-7433 for an immediate phone consultation.
About DUIs / DWIs in VA & MD
In all states, a first-offense DUI (driving under the influence) or DWI (driving while intoxicated) is classified as a misdemeanor and is punishable by up to six months in jail. However, like any criminal charge, a person charged with a DUI or DWI is innocent until proven guilty. Once guilt is established, the penalty will depend on state laws, any aggravating circumstances and a number of previous offenses against the accused. As a representative in both the great states of Maryland and Virginia, we have created a guide to help you better understand DUI and DWI laws in both states and for varying degrees of consequences. Read on to learn more about Maryland and Virginia state-specific DUI and DWI offenses.
Maryland Law: Driving Under the Influence and Driving While Intoxicated Charges
According to Maryland law, an individual can be charged with a DUI if he or she is driving or is in physical control of a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or higher. The penalties for a DWI are less serious than those for a DUI, where you can be charged with a lower BAC limit of .07. Even if you aren’t substantially impaired, you can get a DWI if alcohol has at least affected your normal coordination. The penalties for both these charges are broken up into Criminal and Administrative penalties. Please keep in mind that convictions stay on your record and have consequences for future DUI/DWI arrests in Maryland for a period of five years. If you have been arrested or charged with either of these in the state of Maryland disclose as little as possible to the arresting officer(s) and call Salvado Law at your first opportunity. Acting quickly and keeping calm during this stressful situation is key to your defense. Don’t waste any time when contacting us!
Do not wait any longer to talk to our skilled Rockville attorneys regarding your DUI or DWI case. Often, obtaining an attorney early on can increase your odds of obtaining a more favorable sentence or outcome. To get in touch with our Rockville DUI lawyers, feel free to reach out to our firm by calling (301) 933-1814 at your earliest convenience. Or Call attorney Carlos Salvado at 703-930-7433 for a more immediate consultation.
MD Drunk Driving – Criminal Penalties
First Intoxicated Driving Offense
- DWI: In these cases, there is a potential for up to two months jail time. In the case that the offender was transporting a minor at the time of arrest, the offense carries up to six months in jail. Fines for a first time DWI offender can range from no more than $500, or no more than $1,000 with a minor present.
- DUI: For this charge, you could face up to one year in prison and up to two years in prison if the offender was transporting a minor. Fines for a first time DUI offender are between $1,000 to $2,000 depending on a minor being involved.
Subsequent Intoxicated Driving Offenses
- DWI: Offenders could face up to one year in prison and between $500 to $2,000 in fines depending on a child being present.
- DUI: You can expect to be charged with up to 2 years of incarceration and $3,000 to $4,000 dollars in fines.
MD DUI – Administrative Penalties
First Impaired Driving Offense(s):
- DWI: Can results in a license suspension of six months. Reinstatement of your license may require completion of an alcohol/substance abuse assessment and treatment program as well as an installment of an Ignition Interlock Device (IID).
- DUI: Those convicted may also suffer an additional license suspension penalty.
Second or Subsequent Impaired Driving Offense(s):
- DWI: Can result in a license suspension for 120 days to up to 12 months and use of an IID for 6 months to 3 years.
- DUI: Can result in a license revocation penalty of 12 to 18 months with the use of IID for 1 to 3 years.
Virginia Law: DWI and Extreme DUI Charges
The state of Virginia has a zero-tolerance policy and does not recognize the difference between a DWI and DUI. For both offenses, the laws, fees, and charges receive the same penalties and only vary on a number of offenses and whether or not a child is present. If you operate a vehicle with a BAC of 0.04% or higher or test positive for driving under the influence of drugs in Virginia, you will likely face charges. Convictions in Virginia can be to determine the result of subsequent offenses for a period of 10 years.
VA DWI – Criminal Penalties
First Drunk Driving Offense:
- First offense convictions could face mandatory days in jail, $250 to $300 fines and a criminal record.
Subsequent Drunk Driving Offenses:
For repeat offenders, one of the factors used to determine mandatory jail time is based upon the time that has passed since your last conviction. The other major factor factor used to determine mandatory jail time is the BAC level.
Impaired Vehicle Operation Administrative Penalties
First Drug or Alcohol Offense:
- First offense results in a license suspension for up to one year and a required completion of an alcohol safety and education program. If you were arrested with a 0.15% BAC or above, you must use an IID once your license is reinstated.
Subsequent Drug or Alcohol Offenses:
- For subsequent offenders, license suspension can range anywhere from 60 days to the time of your trial to an ultimately an indefinite revocation if it is your third or more conviction. The same stipulations regarding reinstatement of the license following suspension period apply.
Te podemos ayudar en español cuando has conducido o has estado bajo la influencia. Aprenda mas aquí.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- 27 Years of Experience
- Bilingual attorneys and staff
- Serving Clients for Over 25 Years
- Experience In Multiple Practice Areas